Land UseWith the development of the Mauna Kea Master Plan and Comprehensive Management Plan, OMKM has developed a series of brief summaries describing project sequence, assumptions, and timeline for both existing or proposed development under Hawaii Administrative Rules for Conservation District (13-5). These are intended to help promote a shared understanding of land management processes for both astronomers and the public.
- Major Project Sequence (pdf file)
- Project Review Assumptions (pdf file)
- Project Submittal Timeline (pdf file)
All University-managed lands on Maunakea are in the "Conservation" district, "Resource" subzone; administered by the State Board of Land and Natural Resources and uses governed by rules promulgated by the State Department of Land and Natural Resources
Thirty Meter Telescope
The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) is the first project subject to 2009 Comprehensive Management Plan procedural requirements. On April 12, 2013, the State of Hawaiʻi, Board of Land & Natural Resources made a final decision granting a permit for the construction and operation of TMT. The Conservation District Use Application (CDUA), Final Enivronmental Impact Statement (EIS), Conservation District Use Permit (CDUP), and State of Hawaiʻi Board of Land & Natural Resources final decision and order (approval) for TMT are below.
- Conservation District Use Application (CDUA) (pdf file)
- Final EIS - Volume 1 (pdf file)
- Final EIS - Volume 2 - Section 8, Comments & Responses (pdf file)
- Final EIS - Volume 3 - Appendices (pdf file)
- Conservation District Use Permit (CDUP) (pdf file)
- Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Decision and Order - Board of Land & Natural Resources (pdf file)